FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BODY PARTS Send up to three poems on the subject of or just using either the words body and/or part totaling up to 150 lines in length in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on January 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Body Parts will be published online and will be invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Radomir Vojtech Luza

Warrior in Black


His mind

A ripe peach of a part


He died so we could live

Spoke to awaken

Led to make us free


A complex man with a huge dream

Who made it flow like a stream


Martin Luther King Jr.

Was no better than us


He merely lived life with a vision and purpose

Bringing him a monument in DC


I do not know if he loved everyone he met as a reverend

But he risked his life in prisons and marches

Ghettoes and suburbs

With a non-violent protest movement

That inspired a generation


He saw the future before it happened

Past a dark dog

Now a black cow


He righted wrong

Sang a joyous song

Integrated not segregated


Taking a bullet to the head

For the millions dead




Machine


Streams flow

Mothers sew

Sisters grow

Fathers bellow


Body parts staying mellow

Before dying like an old fellow

Restlessly trying


I am not a mannequin

Fashioned of plastic and polyester

Silk and satin


A machine built of iron and steel

Homework and feel

Dolphins and a yellow eel


I am a rose

Made of petals and thorns

Scarlet rain and loud horns


Do not make my temperature rise

I am much too wise


Loving and hating

Sinning and navigating

Never taking a sip of gin


God forgiving my grin

Needing you to spot the fin

Showing empathy for Jeremy Lin

Helping me get along with my kin

Becoming a bigger star than Rin Tin Tin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee Thomas

The Miracle of love I stand right here My eyes fill with water I hear your ship coming to dock I stand right here My hands catch the water I...