FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BODY PARTS Send up to three poems on the subject of or just using either the words body and/or part totaling up to 150 lines in length in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on January 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Body Parts will be published online and will be invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, January 19, 2024

gia civerolo

 cigarettes pomo haiku

 

Cigarettes taste like


regrets first thing to her lips


In the bright morning




my body is…


My body

My body is

My body is young

My body cartwheels across 

the park’s green grass

A WWI rusted, green cannon

 is where I stand like a winner’s podium

waving at cars, hoping they notice me

 

My body

My body is

My body is swimming in pools 

on my back to blue ribbons

My body still slices through

 borrowed pools,100 laps

Clouds stop to watch me

 

My body

My body is

My body is strong, flowing and diving

through ocean waves,

Racing dolphins who stop to perform just for me

They fly through the water, away

no matter how much I plead

 

My body

My body is

My body is able to create life

Labor is worse than running a marathon

The prize smiles 

Making your heart race, sing, and cry

 

My body

My body is

My body is getting old but still knows what to do

How to dance and move

Stretching across the past

Reaching on tippy-toe to the future

 

My body

My body is

My body is strong

My body is not wrong

My body is all I want it to be 

despite what mothers

and magazine covers 

might say to me

 

My body

My body is

My body is beautiful

My body is beautiful

My body is beautiful




her memory never smiles anymore

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

Fog does not disappear in the morning

like drops of dew on pink velvet petals

Her body is still strong, out pacing me up three

flights of stairs, despite being eighty,

despite being decades older than me

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

Her breath does not calm her like it used to

like ocean salt waves healing all wounds

Nothing will return the loss of her brain

Exacerbating the black fear that feeds the anger—

the only thing she remembers to eat most days

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

Sitting in a Zen lotus position in front of an altar

Crying for no apparent reason

Hoarding possessions, she doesn’t 

know why they mean so much

but they mean so much 

Hiding them away from invisible villains

Crying for days when she can’t find them

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

Incense wafting through the apartment 

Igniting my memory not hers 

Gift words she gave so full of intentions 

Sawing away at all of our generational trauma

always so soothing, Hawaiian waterfalls, falling

We were marathon runners finally, 

breaking ribbons at the finish lines, panting

hugging, thinking we were past the worst

Free, not realizing how bad it was yet to be

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

She lashes out at me again

Cutting my heart into mosaic pieces

Hanging it, art on her wall

I tell her it is the disease shouting, blaming me

She screams I don’t know anything 

Ferociously saying I never cared

I tell her she doesn’t mean it

She cuts me out of her will


Her memory never smiles anymore

Her compassionate nurse’s heart

Is now just a constant tongue lashing,

slashing me

She has no patience for her patient self

 

I try to make my memory smile for her

Remind myself of who she used to be

How much she meant to me

The burden of her behavior

tears the photo image of her past self

away from me, fading fast along with

the last of her memory

 

Sadly, my memory smiles

at the near future when

she will no longer remember who I am

Happy she’ll forget

how mad she is at me all of the time

 

My memory frowns sadly as I try to grapple

with the logic of what is happening

My emotions get the better of me

I can’t find the antidote to the poison

The memory as she stands 

In front of me no longer smiles

It is all so heartbreaking and exhausting

I am exhausted

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

I try to breath the heaviness

In my chest away where the brightness

of the moon has chosen to hide

Velvet darkness drapes all her days

The disease is a savage warrior

Eating the heart of its enemy

Delighting in the bitter taste

of me not being able to do anything

Forcing me to forget how she used to be

 

Her memory never smiles anymore

There is no knowing 

There is no remembering

until my child smiles at me

Reminding me 

how beautiful a memory can be


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee Thomas

The Miracle of love I stand right here My eyes fill with water I hear your ship coming to dock I stand right here My hands catch the water I...