FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BODY PARTS Send up to three poems on the subject of or just using either the words body and/or part totaling up to 150 lines in length in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on January 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Body Parts will be published online and will be invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Jackie Chou

My Arms 


My arms have never been 

strong enough,

to carry a child,

or a wok full of stir-fry,

like a good wife,

a good mother.


Sometimes they droop like spaghetti,

and can't even muster the strength 

to give anyone a hug.


Though weary at times,

my arms are also starstruck,

and on nights like this,

when I gaze up at the sky,

I find them reaching out to you,

across galaxies.




My Father's Hands


My father's hands,

both erudite and rough,

birthed stories of hardships

with strokes of black ink

from a felt-tip pen,

loaded and unloaded

boxes of merchandise

for our family store,

turned the steering wheel

of a station wagon,

held a beef and rice bowl

from Yoshinoya,

but never a feline,

nor an incense 

for a prayer to Buddha,

nor my mother's hand,

not after they lost their love 

for one another,

not after I was born,

my father grasping 

and clutching what he could,

letting some dreams 

and aspirations

slip through his fingers,

then crumble to pieces 

before his very eyes.




How I Keep My Body Parts Intact


I avoid decapitation,

the edge of a curb 

where a cannibal 

might drag me into their car,

any barber shop

that has a ceiling fan

whose leaf-shaped blades

would continue spinning

while it fell,

severing my head,

any train track 

where a shoe might get stuck

and I'd be run over,

any high place

above the second floor

where I can fall

and break all my bones,

and like I said,

anyone who might drug me

and chop me up

to make a stew,

basically any risk

of dismemberment,

through cannibalism 

and other means.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee Thomas

The Miracle of love I stand right here My eyes fill with water I hear your ship coming to dock I stand right here My hands catch the water I...