FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BODY PARTS Send up to three poems on the subject of or just using either the words body and/or part totaling up to 150 lines in length in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on January 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Body Parts will be published online and will be invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Dean Okamura


Tell me I'm not the only one


This quiet holds tense anticipation

somewhere between anxiety and hope

                                                       A pause

Uneasy silent waiting

head sinuses pressed by unknown hands


It's time to move but dread of taking

the wrong step checks my resolve

 

Beyond the safety of my room

                                                       There

Lies a world bent on destruction


Yet my challenge is small

to venture forth


With my body growing frail

and my mind running wild

 




You will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever … what-ever

January 1, (2024),
I'm lying in bed with my aging body,
Kind of tired,
Not sure if I want to get up or what to do.

 

     ???

 

It's been five minutes since I wrote that last line.

 

I'm still in bed.

 

     I guess I could wait another hour
     Before I find the power
     To get up and take a shower.
     This rhyme is getting sour.

 

I get it.

 

     Get up!
     Happy New Year!
     2024 will be wonderful,
     Happy, prosperous,
     Everything you ever wanted.
     You will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever … what-ever.

 

I feel like a baseball.
Somebody threw me really hard at the catcher.
I hit the ground,
Then I went astray.
I'm stuck in that wiry fence.
And someone needs to take me out,
So take me out, take me out, out …

 

     Out of this bed,
     Out of my silly head,
     Out …

 

Oh, not that again!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee Thomas

The Miracle of love I stand right here My eyes fill with water I hear your ship coming to dock I stand right here My hands catch the water I...